theyawningsloth

The Yawning Sloth's Lonely Tree

My Favorite Quotes, Occasional Book Reviews and General Randomness are in store for you here.

Page 40/307

Reblogged from BreakRaven:
Divergent - Veronica Roth

Riiiiiight, because doing stupid, dangerous things for no reason and wasting ENTIRE LIVES just for reputation is a great  thing to do......I thought I heard something about the Dauntless guarding borders or something? Wouldn't it be smarter to be safe and train your people in a controlled environment, so that you don't wake up one morning and realize most of them are DEAD BECAUSE THEY SLIPPED FOR A SPLIT SECOND AND FELL OFF A RACING TRAIN???!!!

Ugh. I just.....whyyyyy does no one in these stupid books have the least bit of respect for human life?

And what's with this condescension toward the factionless? I don't know about these idiotic characters, but personally I would rather live in the slums somewhere AND BE MYSELF and BE ALLOWED A VARIETY OF PERSONALITY, than be stuck in some snotty holier-than-thou faction with no imagination. I mean, the kid who didn't make it onto the train, because he was too slow to jump? What if he was the bravest Dauntless ever, but he was just overweight or skin and bones, or he'd been ill recently, or he had a slight limp in one leg? Hmm? What then? Nothing about being "brave" says you have to be in peak physical condition all the time, and by the way, that kid wasn't told that there was any "initiation" or that he'd be instantly considered factionless just for tripping over an untied shoelace and missing his train.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Oh. And was there a single person who didn't know that the MC's brother wasn't going to choose the "selfless" road?

(show spoiler)

I don't know why I do this to myself. I knew this book was probably going to be bad, but good grief, I didn't think it would be this brainless......